For my third Ludum Dare (LD35) the top was 'Shapeshift'. I took part in this jam with a college friend named Eric.
For this jam we decided on creating a game that didn't follow my normal skill set. We decided to focus on world building, developing a sense of exploration and having a clear cut end to the game. This was also my first mobile friendly game.
The main mechanic in this game is the ability to switch between three basic elements: Fire, Water and Earth. These elements are slowly introduced into the game in a way where you can naturally learn that certain elements are strong vs others and weak again others. The simple rock paper scissors mechanics are very simple at first but they start to shine when composition of enemy groups forces the player to chaotically switch between all 3.
Click HERE to play the game fullscreen
- Touch arrows to move in that direction
- Button right button to shape shift to another element
- Second button on the right to use your elemental ability
- Arrow keys to move in each direction
- Z to shapeshift to another element
- X to use your elemental ability